English Through the Ages:One Course Summer Study Abroad Program
Why Study English On Location?
Heavily influence by French, English evolved as a hybrid. It emerged from the collision of languages and cultures that provided not only new words but also new ideas and worldviews. Paris and London are the ideal cities in which to consider this influence as well as that of art and history on English literature and culture. Dynamic learning experiences, such as attending a Shakespearean play at the Globe Theatre, performing rants at Speaker’s Corner and visiting the Moors that inspired Wordsworth, will bring the coursework alive for students as they travel from France and England north into Scotland.
English – Grade 12 (ENG4U)
The core English course focuses on the refinement of literacy, communication and analytical skills. Students build on their understanding of academic language and practise using it confidently in discussion and argumentation both in oral and written forms.
Studies in Literature – Grade 12 (ETS4U)
This course is intended for students who are passionate about literature. Students analyze a range of literary forms including drama, the novel, and poetry, responding personally, critically and creatively to each.
Writer’s Craft – Grade 12 (EWC4U)
This course is designed for students who have attained a high level of proficiency in their writing skills and wish to focus on cultivating their creative writing talents by participating in prose, poetry and drama-writing master classes.
English – Grade 11 (ENG3U)
The core English course gives students the opportunity to hone their presentation, analytical and critical thinking skills through assignments and activities that incorporate both oral and written communication.
Swipe to see all locations and descriptions
- Hotels and accommodations
- Breakfast and dinner daily
- Entrance fees to all course-specific sites
- Ministry-approved credit(s) upon successful completion of the course(s)
- Custom course pack
- Student Login
- MEI journal
- Digital yearbook
- Fall reunion
- Return airfare from Toronto’s Pearson International Airport
- Transportation between hotel locations via private coach
- Transportation for all listed program excursions
- Transfers to all accommodations
- Paris Museums: Musee D’Orsay, Louvre, Pompidou
- The Palace of Versailles
- The Eiffel Tower
- Luxembourg Gardens
- Mouffetard Market and the Tuileries
- London Museums: National Portrait Gallery, Tate Modern
- Trafalgar Square
- Camden Market
- The Globe Theatre
- Theatre in London’s West End
- St. James Park, Hyde Park
- Buckingham Palace and the changing of the guard
- Hike through the moors of Grasmere
- Edinburgh Castle
- Camera Obscura
- The Royal Mile
- Travel Visas
- All airline taxes and surcharges*
- Local transportation
- Registration fee
- Course texts
- Medical Insurance and Cancellation Protection**
*For approximate cost, please contact our office
**All students travelling with MEI Academy are required to purchase Medical Insurance.
In order to comply with TICO regulations, your invoice total will be divided into two payments; one for program costs
(MEI International Academy) and one for travel cost (Carlson Wagonlit Victor Travel). The exact breakdown amounts will be indicated on your invoice and payments begin in January.
Program Costs Payable to: MEI Academy International
Travel Costs Payable to: Carlson Wagonlit Victor Travel
Total does not include cancellation insurance, travel and health insurance, and airline taxes and surcharges.